The original World Trade Center is a large complex of seven buildings in the Financial District of Lower Manhattan, New York City, United States.
Opened on April 4, 1973, it was destroyed in 2001 during the September 11 attacks. Twin Towers – The original 1 World Trade Center is 1,368 feet (417 m) high; And the second World Trade Center, 1,362 feet (415.1 m) – the tallest buildings in the world, when completed.
The number of the center’s floors reached 110, it housed 50,000 workers, and received 200,000 visitors daily, in an area estimated at 10 million square feet.
The World Trade Center represented the busy business district of New York, one of the most important tourist attractions, and was a symbol of the city’s dedication and the idea of progress and the American future.
A Prehistory Of The World Trade Center
The location of the western part of the World Trade Center was originally under the Hudson River.
The river’s shore is near Greenwich Street, which is closer to the site’s eastern boundary.
Dutch explorer Adrian Block’s ship, Tiger, burned out in the waters on this shore, near the intersection of Greenwich Street and the former Day Street, in November 1613, leaving Block and his crew ashore and forcing them to spend the winter on the island’s surface.
They built the first European settlement in Manhattan.
The remains of the ship were buried under the landfill upon the expansion of the shoreline starting in 1797 and were discovered during excavation work in 1916. The remains of the second ship, dating back to the 18th century, were discovered in 2010 during excavation at the site.
The ship, which is believed to be a felucca sailing across the Hudson River, was found to the south where the twin towers are located, about 20 feet (6.1 m) below the surface.
The area later became New York City Radio Row from 1921 to 1966.
The neighborhood is a warehouse area which is now known as Tribeca and the Financial District.
Harry Schnick opened the city radio on Cortland Street in 1921, and the area recently maintained several buildings for electronic stores, with Cortland Street being its main center.
Used radios, surplus war electronics (such as the ARC-5 radios) and scrap metal, have accumulated significantly in the streets, making them attractive to collectors and hijackers.
According to one of the writers on commercial activities at the time, this region also became the origin of commercial activities based on the distribution of electronic components.